I've recently had my braces removed (May 2009) and now have an Essix retainer for my bottom jaw (to wear at night) and an Hawley retainer for my top jaw with false tooth attached (to wear during the day).

Starting in Aug/Sept 2004 I had Damon type 2 brackets, then In-ovation brackets (replaced March and May 2006) and seven In-ovation brackets without clips (with elastic ligatures).
Total time in braces = 4 years and 8 months!

NB: All treatment is through the NHS apart from implant work done by Mr Ziff which is private.


Thursday, July 03, 2008

Hooks and measurements galore!

At this appointment I had a lot done.

First Mr S wanted to remove my wires, so he set about the lengthy task of trying to open my stubborn brackets.

Nicky the nurse got sent to get a water jet to help unclog my brackets.
The first jet wasn't very good and Mr S wasn't very happy with it.
So they experimented on me with a new spray which was much more powerful.
It vibrated the brackets open as it was so powerful!

He used it with warm water which felt much better then cold water.
The ony bad thing was all the spray that went on my face as it was very powerful!

Mr S asked how it felt from my point of view and whether it had caused discomfort.
I said it was fine.

Once the brackets were open, Mr S marked on the wires the gaps between the brackets and then removed the wires.
This felt weird as my false tooth is attached to my top wire so I had my gap back.

Mr S then attached hooks for my operation onto the wires he had earlier marked.

Once he'd finished that, he closed my brackets up (without the wires in) and prepared me for some molds/impressions.

I needed to have 3 sets done. Mr S said this is so the surgeon Mr O can cut them up and play around with them to figure out what the best way to move my jaw is.

After the impressions were done, he then got me to bite on a piece of wax to show my bite, then he got another piece of wax which I bit and he attached it to an appliance which measures how my jaw is held together.

It looks kinda like
this
.. (<< see link)

After that I rinsed and Mr S reopened my brackets to put the wires with the hooks attached back in.

He then gave me a small mirror to hold in my mouth on each side while he took photos.

Nicky then handed me a mirror and damp cloth so I could clean my face up.

Mr S then wished me well and said he's looking forward to seeing me after the operation. They also gave me an appointment for the 18th, 4 days after my operation.
Nicky said that as I'll be groggy I will always be the first one in.
She said if I'm not up to it, I can ring or get someone else to ring to cancel it.

Photos of new wiring and hooks: (click images to see close-ups)


Open bite


Closed bite


Top


Bottom


Left


Right


Hooks in detail!

No comments: