I've recently had my braces removed (May 2009) and now have an Essix retainer for my bottom jaw (to wear at night) and an Hawley retainer for my top jaw with false tooth attached (to wear during the day).

Starting in Aug/Sept 2004 I had Damon type 2 brackets, then In-ovation brackets (replaced March and May 2006) and seven In-ovation brackets without clips (with elastic ligatures).
Total time in braces = 4 years and 8 months!

NB: All treatment is through the NHS apart from implant work done by Mr Ziff which is private.


Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Day 3 - freedom!

I slept better last night. Had the usual meds etc.
When I got up I actually went and sat in my chair and generally moved around. I was still limping. I wasn't using the sucker anymore as I was comfortable swallowing my spit now.

The doctors came and saw me in the morning and asked how I was and the guy from the surgical team asked if I wanted to go home today. I said 'Can I?'

He thought I was well enough to go home and that I was progressing well.

So later on the nurses came and cleaned my room etc and gave me some fresh milkshake and water. I had my meds and had water and milkshake now and again and read a book.

I was now keeping a log of my water intake and my milkshake intake.

Another nurse came and cleaned up my nose and changed the bolster.
She said I can get changed now.
I was a bit confused so I pressed the button after pondering for a long time and I asked the guy who came to my room about it. He said I can put my normal clothes on.

So I got my clothes out out of my bag and got changed, it felt weird being out of the hospital gown, my jeans rubbed my stitches a bit as they sat right over my hip so I reasoned I'd change into some joggers when I get home. I wasn't sure if I could remove my stockings so I went to ask and they said yes so I removed them. They were really tight and I can see how the nurse struggled putting them on my legs in the first place.

My boyfriend turned up at 10am.

I told him I was going home today so he thought he'd come earlier as I might need to vacate my room as someone else may need it. I also showed him my log and he was pleased I was drinking more.

I started packing my stuff up with my boyfriends help and then a few mins later the doctor came and asked if I could leave the room as it was needed. So I grabbed my stuff and we went to the TV room to wait.

When my Dad turned up, he found us in the TV room and wasn't happy I'd been chucked out of my room. I was happily still syringing my milkshake etc.

Later a nurse came and spoke to us, they got me my meds etc and fresh dressings for my stitches and nose. They gave us lots of meal drinks and build-up and also some syringes. They also gave me an appointment with the Maxillofacial clinic on the 23rd July (one week today).

Then off we went home, I sat on the sofa at home and relaxed, happy to be home. I changed into my joggers later and found them more comfy then my jeans.

I had a few visitors.

I was taking my medicine with the syringe, but soon found I can drink from a glass.

I now have lovely colourful bruises from all the places the nurses and doctors took or tried to take drips. They are purple and green in colour. They hurt when they are pressed.

No comments: