I've recently had my braces removed (May 2009) and now have an Essix retainer for my bottom jaw (to wear at night) and an Hawley retainer for my top jaw with false tooth attached (to wear during the day).

Starting in Aug/Sept 2004 I had Damon type 2 brackets, then In-ovation brackets (replaced March and May 2006) and seven In-ovation brackets without clips (with elastic ligatures).
Total time in braces = 4 years and 8 months!

NB: All treatment is through the NHS apart from implant work done by Mr Ziff which is private.


Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Wires cut! (maxillofacial)

I was nervous going today as I had weird dreams about having my wires cut and not being able to shut my mouth as my jaw hung open, eek..

Mr O cut my wires today. There were 2 people observing, he showed them my teeth before in the fixed position then got wire cutters and had difficulty cutting the wires open then pulling them out.

It was a bit scary as he was going in with the cutters and I was opening my lips as wide as I could.

After the wires were cut and removed, he asked me to open and close. I could open and close my mouth a small amount. He said the stiffness will go away eventually.

He told me to clean my teeth before seeing Mr S as I have a build up of some gunk on my teeth.

I asked about my vein, telling him that Mr S said I should ask about it as the vein looks like it has a clot and he said it's nothing to worry about.

He said he'll see me again in 6 weeks.

As I came home I was thinking I need to remember my teeth are no longer wired up as I could feel I was still talking with my teeth shut.

I cleaned my teeth the best I could when I got home with a small brush I had. I couldn't clean my teeth very well though as my mouth is quite stiff so I couldn't clean the inside of my teeth. Oh well it all takes time!

No comments: