I've recently had my braces removed (May 2009) and now have an Essix retainer for my bottom jaw (to wear at night) and an Hawley retainer for my top jaw with false tooth attached (to wear during the day).

Starting in Aug/Sept 2004 I had Damon type 2 brackets, then In-ovation brackets (replaced March and May 2006) and seven In-ovation brackets without clips (with elastic ligatures).
Total time in braces = 4 years and 8 months!

NB: All treatment is through the NHS apart from implant work done by Mr Ziff which is private.


Thursday, August 28, 2008

Elastics are in!

When I went in today, Nicky the nurse commented "Ooo she can open now", when I answered how I was and she saw my teeth opening a bit as I spoke, hehe.

Mr S had a look at my teeth and how much I can open my mouth.

He then got some elastics and fitted them on the hooks (some on brackets, some on hooks attached for surgery).

These I find out are attached to bring my teeth together in a better bite as when my teeth are shut my teeth are not sitting right.

I was hoping the hooks attached for my surgery would be coming out as they were beginning to hurt my gums as my mouth was now free.

He then got a mirror and showed me how he had attached the elastics.

He put one elastic on each side of my mouth in a square shape, going over 4 hooks. Then doubled these up by placing another one on top.

He said I need to make sure I use the same hooks and change the elastics each time I eat, drink etc as they are latex and don't stay strong very long for the pressure needed.

He gave me 3 packs and drew a diagram on one of the packs. He said I may find it easier with tweezers first but should be able to use my fingers once I get used to it.

He said he can see my gum is loose on both sides of my mouth and it should tighten as my mouth loosens up and I can stretch the gum again.

I see him again in 2 weeks.

He asked about my vein and I told him Mr O said it's nothing to worry about.

When I got home, I had a look in my mirror and wrote down the exact location of each elastic on which hook etc. This helped me to find the right hooks easily.

My first elastic change after lunch took me 20 mins!

NB: Yeserday I went to see the doctor for a new sick note and found out my blood test results are fine.

No comments: